BE PART OF GIVING LIFE
June 16, 2002 pm
I am using the same chapter I used this morning, but have a completely different
message. Often I will continue my thought from the morning service in our
evening service. However, this is not the case. I have a message from God
Then came the day of unleavened bread,
when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go
and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where
wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered
into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow
him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman
of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where
I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large
upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had
said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come,
he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With
desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: For
I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in
the kingdom of God. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take
this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink
of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. And he took
bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is
my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also
the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood,
which is shed for you. (Luke 22:7-20)
And there was also a strife among them,
which of them should be accounted the greatest. And he said unto them, The
kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise
authority upon them are called benefactors. But ye shall not be so: but he
that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief,
as he that doth serve. For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or
he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he
that serveth. Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.
And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; That
ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging
the twelve tribes of Israel. (Luke 22:24-30)
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock:
if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will
sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit
with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father
in his throne. (Revelation 3:20-21)
Jesus laid forth the same pattern of thought in both Luke 22's reference
to the Last Supper and the Laodicaean letter.
They were eating and drinking at the Supper.
- Eat and Drink with Jesus.
- Sit on thrones judging.
- It is speaking of overcoming.
He said they must overcome in order for this to come to pass.
- He would not eat with them again until the Kingdom would come.
- He points to this eating and drinking when the kingdom comes
in Luke 22:24-30.
Then he said they continued with him in his temptations.
- Luke was speaking about overcoming the tendency to be great.
- The truly great ones are those who serve.
- Wash one another's feet.
- Jesus did that.
He rebuked the church that was told to overcome to be able to sit on thrones
for their self-glorying .
- In other words, they must overcome in this area also.
- Not seek to be great.
- But serve.
A servant's heart must be part of a person if they want to be involved in
- He said they were blind and naked.
- They were the furthest thing from true greatness.
- They exalted and spoke so much of themselves.
Jesus told the disciples to go before Him and prepare for Passover.
- He often sent His disciples before Him into the cities where
He would go.
After these things the Lord appointed
other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every
city and place, whither he himself would come. Therefore said he unto them,
The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore
the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves. (Luke
And He rebuked them for getting angry at those who would not receive Him
once they came to prepare a place for him there.
And sent messengers before his
face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make
ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though
he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this,
they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven,
and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and
said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is
not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another
village. (Luke 9:52-56)
He came to save.
And when you do allow the preacher's to prepare your hearts, the Lord will
come and perform a miracle.
- Preachers go forth to talk to you and to explain the will
of God to you.
- This is preparation for your life to give you the chance
to have Jesus come in.
- You can either reject or accept the preacher.
- But its only when you accept the Apostolic preacher and listen
to their words that your heart is being ready for Jesus to come.
- Jesus never planned it that you could avoid an Apostolic
preacher's work of preparation.
The Laodicaeans were rebuked for self-glory.
- He does something in your life.
- The preachers explain something to you about what He will
- And you are instructed to get the heart of a servant.
- You are instructed to allow Jesus to do what He desires to
- Its not the preachers you are serving.
- They are serving both you and the Lord.
- But it is Jesus you are to serve.
- And Jesus said this would cause a door to shut out Christ
from having His will.
- Since this is spoken to a church, this tells us it is not
only sinners that require obedience to Jesus, but Christians must always
experience it as well.
- It becomes a way of life.
- The preacher instructs about serving Jesus and you allow
your heart to become obedient.
- Far too many resist the part of the preacher in the Kingdom.
For after that in the wisdom
of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness
of preaching to save them that believe. (1 Corinthians 1:21)
Jesus told James and John that Jesus came to save, after they became angry
at those who refused to accept Jesus.
Once the goodman in Jerusalem opened the house for the Lord to come in, the
Lord had passover in that house.
- They became angry because they were the ones who came to
prepare for Jesus.
- So connecting that with 1 Corinthians 1:21, we realize
that the preacher's job is to explain and preach so that people might receive
Jesus and be saved.
- Those who reject the preachers simply miss Jesus, Himself.
- And the preacher is to simply go on and give someone else
Rev 3:20 shows the Lord saying to self-glorying christians to overcome that
- This is the work of the miracle that occurs once you follow
the instruction of the preacher.
- When you allow Jesus in, and become servant-like, He does
- It's only if you get the servant attitude though.
In Luke 22, the preachers were sent to prepare the house for Jesus to come
in and do His thing.
- If he told them about their self glorying and then said
to overcome, then we know they had to overcome this self glory.
- And that would open their hearts for Jesus to come in.
- He would then do His work.
- And inside, this is the work that He does.
- He SUPS with them.
- HE EATS AND DRINKS WITH THEM.
- To sup with them.
- And while in there, Jesus spoke to them about servitude.
- And He said the reason He spoke about that was because
they were appointed a kingdom and thrones.
The kings of the Gentiles exercise
lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called
benefactors. But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let
him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve. For whether
is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth
at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth. Ye are they which have continued
with me in my temptations. And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father
hath appointed unto me; That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom,
and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Luke 22:24-30)
Because thou sayest, I am
rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not
that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I
counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich;
and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy
nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest
see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open
the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To
him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also
overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. (Revelation
You would think kings would be self glorying.
He told Laodicaea that they must get over this self glorying and that would
let Him in and He would THEN give them thrones.
- In fact, Jesus said the gentile kings were indeed like
- But this is not the way it is in Jesus' kingdom.
- We HUMBLE ourselves.
- WE BECOME SERVANTS.
- And THIS prepares us for a kingdom and a throne.
Now the miracle He does in our lives is this.
- The PREACHER of Laodicaea, the ANGEL of the church,
had to tell the church about this.
- Jesus was sending a preacher to speak to the congregation,
so that He could come in and sup, just as He did with the two disciples and
the house where He wanted Passover.
Jesus went to the woman at the well and He spoke to hear of drinking.
- Its called the supping in Revelation 3:20.
- This is reference to the cross.
He told her to obey Him.
- She was thirsty.
- Like the man who carried water to the house.
- Usually people will show a thirst for living water,
and it is those the preachers must notice and reach.
- God please give us sensitive eyes to recognize the
souls who are thirsty, so we can follow them and offer them Jesus.
There cometh a woman of
Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. (John
Be obedient to Jesus.
- Only when we become servants to the Lamb will we
experience a miracle.
Jesus answered and said
unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee,
Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given
thee living water. (John 4:10)
But whosoever drinketh
of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that
I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting
life. (John 4:14)
Jesus will work a work in your heart if you get a servant's attitude.
- Living water would be created in you.
- Getting a well inside you that would be like
a fountain of water springing out of you.
In the last day,
that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst,
let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture
hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this
spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for
the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
Notice that something was WRITTEN regarding water flowing from the belly.
Everytime the miracle of Jesus inside a life is mentioned, so that rivers
might flow out of your life, there is going to be the note of the cross mentioned.
- The only WRITTEN old testament prophecy of
waters flowing from a belly, is the waters flowing from a rock that was smitten
and struck by Moses' rod.
- This speaks of the cross!
- Isaiah 53 says Jesus was SMITTEN and STRICKEN
and WOUNDED for our transgressions.
- Revelation 3:20 says Jesus would SUP with the
soul who opens his door, and put us on thrones.
- Luke 22 has Jesus inside speaking of the blood
and body in the wine and bread, and thrones to be sat upon.
- The smiting of the rock occurs inside our lives
by a miracle of Jesus,.
- He makes the work of the cross a part of our
- And since the smiting
of Himself caused a river to flow, then when that is worked in our lives,
the river will flow from us as well!
And one of the
elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white
robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And
he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have
washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore
are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple:
and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. They shall hunger
no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor
any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them,
and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away
all tears from their eyes. (Rev 7:13-17)
We read of the LAMB -- sacrifice -- and the only sacrifice Jesus did as a
lamb was the CROSS.
You must come to Jesus.
- The miracle of working the cross in your
life occurs by Jesus.
- He makes it so that you can say you died
with Him on the cross.
- He takes them to the throne of God.
- Serving God.
- And SERVE Him because they must have a servant's
- And this brings them to FOUNTAINS OF LIVING
Rev 3:20 says overcoming causes us to have him sup with us.
- Coming speaks of a servants attitude.
- Come to Him.
- Some are too proud to go to Jesus.
- Pride will kill the entire work.
Jesus said HIS FATHER appointed Him a kingdom and a throne in the passover
discussion of Luke 22.
- And that makes us fit for thrones.
- We will reign with Him.
- He said they'd sit on thrones, too.
- And we read of the throne of God and the
Lamb here in Rev 7.
- And fountains of waters.
And he shewed
me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the
throne of God and of the Lamb. (Rev 22:1)
God and the Lamb and a river flowing out of our lives.
Jesus said he and the Father would come inside our lives.
and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father
will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
If we obey his commandments, become a servant to Him, through the teaching
of the preachers, then the Father and the Son will come into us.
- This is the same thing we read in Rev
- The throne of GOD AND THE LAMB is in
the city and flows forth a river.
And I saw
no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple
of it. (Rev 21:22)
GOD AND THE LAMB are the temple.
We need to get God and the Lamb inside us.
- And they sit on a throne.
- And a river comes from the throne.
he brought me again unto the door of the house; and, behold, waters issued
out from under the threshold of the house eastward: for the forefront of
the house stood toward the east, and the waters came down from under from
the right side of the house, at the south side of the altar. (Ezekiel
brought he me out of the way of the gate northward, and led me about the
way without unto the utter gate by the way that looketh eastward; and, behold,
there ran out waters on the right side. (Ezekiel 47:2)
it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever
the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude
of fish, because these waters shall come thither: for they shall be healed;
and every thing shall live whither the river cometh. (Ezekiel 47:9)
by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall
grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit
thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months,
because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof
shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine. (Ezekiel 47:12)
The same thing is said in Revelation 22.
- But its a throne where the
river comes from there.
- here its the temple.
- But Rev 21 said the temple
is GOD AND THE LAMB.
And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding
out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it,
and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve
manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the
tree were for the healing of the nations. And there shall be no more curse:
but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall
serve him: (Rev 22:1-3)
This river of life comes out from the house -- from the believer -- and it
gives life to everyone it touches.
1) The preacher comes and offers you the chance to have Jesus come in.
- This can only occur if the
following steps are taken first.
2) The preacher teaches about Jesus and thereby prepares your heart.
3) Jesus cannot come before the preacher prepares your heart.
4) Then when you are willing to accept Jesus in with the understanding you
must OBEY Him and SERVE Him, then He enters your heart.
When you're willing to let go of pride and self glorying.
Be obedient to His every wish.
5) He comes in and works the cross into your life.
6) It takes you before the throne because you serve the KING.
7) And He leads you to living fountains of waters.
8) A river flows from you as the result of this miracle.
9) Every life touched through you will live.